Wednesday 18 January 2012

Deathrow meal request.... INARI!



I was thinking of doing a post on making sushi, but it is so darn easy, why waste the keystrokes? But something I don't think people believe is so easy, is the construction of INARI! Oooooh yes! I can eat this stuff until I am bursting at the seams with sweet rice. Imagine me, as a scarecrow, leaking rice and sesame seeds... Yep, that's me.....

First thing, Inari pouches seem to be a 'B' to make from scratch (listen, I haven't tried because the instructions scare me) so, just go to the Great eastern food centre on Russell Street, Melbourne (or your local Japanese grocer) and buy some pre-made! They are pre-juiced with sweetly goodness and ready to stuff! I picked up a 16 pack of Inari tofu pouches for $5.40! I've also seen them online, you can get a 40 pack for about ten bucks, but before purchasing this lot, remember, you have to eat them. I think like most tofu you should eat it within a few days of opening.

Inari recipe:

5 - 10 premade inari pouches (or 40 if you are really hungry. Quadruple rice recipe.)
1 cup of rice
1.5 cup water
Sushi rice vinegar
Salt
Roasted sesame seeds

Method:
To make Sushi rice:
Rinse rice. Combine 1 cup of rice with 1.5 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Leave to cook for 20 minutes without removing the cover. Once cooked, mix in 3 Tbsp of Sushi seasoning (or 2 Tbsp of sushi vinegar and 1 tbsp of rice malt or sugar. I buy the seasoning as it is premixed and amazing!)  Mix through with a wooden rice paddle. Leave to cool down to room temperature.

(Nb. or if you use a rice cooker, follow instructions as per your machine.)

To make Inari:
Gently open tofu pouch. Stuff full of rice. Sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds. And then......

GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE

No comments:

Post a Comment