Saturday 21 January 2012

Okonomiyaki is your friend!


I love okonomiyaki. I would live on it if I could be bothered making it and didn't mind living on a fried food diet. But the thing about the little Japanese pancakes is that you really can experiment with the ingredients! The one above had a subtle Indian feel, thanks to the 1/2 tsp of curry powder that I shook in. So don't be conservative with this recipe! Go buck wild!

Okonomiyaki Recipe:
4 small purple Sweet Potatoes (Or 1 large sweet potato or Yam.)
1 large Carrot
4 inches of a large Daikon
1/8 Cabbage
1/2 cup of peas(I used minted. It's all I had.....)
1 cup plain flour (I used Gluten free)
1/2 tsp Baking soda
3/4 - 1 cup water
1/2 to 1 Tbsp Tamari (soy sauce)
2 tsp Mirin
Coconut oil for cooking
Condiments: Mayonnaise(Praise 97% fat free creamy is vegan!) and Terriyaki sauce

Method:
Using a food processor with grating attachment (I got one for Christmas. Thanks Mum!), Grate sweet potato, carrot, daikon and cabbage. Transfer to a large bowl and add peas, flour, baking soda, tamari and mirin. Slowly add water until it is all nice and juicy but not too watery. Heat up a large saucepan on medium with a little coconut oil. Dump a large amount of the mixture onto the saucepan, flatten until about 1/2 inch thick with a diameter of your hand. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until crispy around the edges and like a normal pancake, you see small bubbles in the mixture, Flip. Cook for another 5-7 minutes. Serve with Mayonnaise and terriyaki sauce. In restaurants they smother the pancakes with the stuff, but I like to have 'sauce choice' so I put the sauce on the side.

Eat up my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment