Monday 11 June 2012

Johnny Cakes, Johnny Cakes!


Corn is awesome. But being able to say 'I'm making Johnny cakes', that's even more awesome. What a cool name! These Johnny cakes are corn pancakes though we had them for dinner with veggies and some beans and quinoa, but you can easily have them for breakfast smothered in maple syrup or nutelex. Do as you please, but I will tell you this, these hi-fiving Mofo's are enslaving..

Recipe:
1 cup Fresh corn (I like it off the cob, though you can use canned or frozen if you want)
1 cup Rice milk
1 1/2 cups gluten free plain flour (or cornmeal if like)
1 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Maple syrup
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Olive oil spray for cooking

Method:
In a processor, pulse the corn and rice milk a few times, just to get the corn a bit chopped up. Add all remaining ingredients and blend for about 7 seconds, or until combined. There should still be chunky pieces of corn left. Let the batter rest for around 10 minutes, and in the meantime, preheat a good Fry pan over medium heat.


Spray the pan with oil and using an ice cream scoop, ladle out a few johnnycakes. Cook for about 3 minutes, the underside should be crisp and browned, the top still wet. Flip the cakes (spraying the pan as you lift each cake. This is important as corn loves to stick!) and cook until crisp and flecked with brown. Keep finished cakes on a plate covered with tinfoil as you prepare the rest.

These little guys can keep in the fridge for a couple of days, but with a name like Johnny cakes, I doubt they will last that long! Palatable as heck!






2 comments:

  1. Hi Lee, we call these 'pow pow pancakes' in my house. I make the batter a bit thinner and savoury and use LOTS of LIGHTLY cooked fresh corn in the pancakes. The corn kernels - some of them - go POP!!! as the pancakes cook. that makes little boys roar around the kitchen screaming Pow!Pow!.
    We have them with roughly chopped fresh tomato cooked down with a little chili pepper and rosemary (for a bit of gingerness) & black pepper.
    Surprisingly the boys have survived to adulthood and I still love to cook these. I'll try the sweet version now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liz, I hope you like them! I think the Maple gives them a delightful kick, I still use them as a savoury food, even though they can go either way. I love Pow Pow pancakes! That is a really cute and apt name! I love it when the corn pops. I'll give yours ago too!

    ReplyDelete